At end of 2011, during the forum “Riga Resounds” (“Rīga Dimd”) the working group “Electronic solutions to promote participation” as one of advisable actions in order to promote wider accessibility of Riga City Council, identified the necessity to achieve wider access to Riga City Council’s collected raw data or in other words - to put in practice the open data principle. This principle is implemented in several cities, e.g., Stockholm, Helsinki, Washington, Berlin and Manchester. The access to data and data bases and not only graphics or separate figures allows each interested individual himself/herself to analyze the situation and to use data in the most efficient way both offering suggestions on policy development in Riga and shaping their personal choices, basing them on data, not presumptions.
“Riga – Open Up!” LATVIEŠU
- Project duration: March 2012 - May 2012
- Project costs: LVL 1000
- Financier: Riga City Council
- Contacts: Linda Jākobsone
Project’s aim: to create understanding on the advantages of introducing the open data principle in the work of Riga municipality as well as to identify possible further steps to ensure the implementation of open data principle in the work of Riga City Council.
- In order to stress the importance of open data and to sum up ideas on most important data of Riga, as well to get to know which data would give the greatest benefit to Riga inhabitants, a research will take place. It will cover the analyses of situation in other cities in the world as well as analyse the information accessible already on the websites of different departments of Riga City Council
- Forum „ Riga – Open up!
- During the forum “Riga - Open up!” it is planned to discuss the results of research and concrete examples of cases when data accessibility has allowed individuals to create useful products. During the forum working groups will develop suggestions on possible co–operation projects among NGOs, open data enthusiasts and Riga City Council in order to use municipality’s published data for creating useful products and services for the inhabitants.
More information on the project:
Centre for Public Policy PROVIDUS, Linda Jākobsone, 67039258, email@example.com
Project is financed by Department of Education, Culture and Sport of Riga City Council in framework of Society integration programme