The objective of this initiative was to help the wider public evaluate the first 10 years of Latvia’s membership in the European Union and set goals for the next 10 years, by evaluating the changes that had or had not taken place in 10 areas.
Evaluation of 10 years of Latvia’s EU membership LATVIEŠU
- Projekta norises laiks: 01.01.2014 - 30.05.2014.
- Projekta izmaksas: 8131 EUR
- Finansētājs: Management Partnership between the European Commission and the Government of Latvia, European Commission representation in Latvia
- Kontaktpersonas: Krista Baumane
A concise user-friendly overview was published, including visualized data, comparing the situation of 2004 and 2014 in the following areas:
- Foreign affairs and defence,
- Labour market and entrepreneurship,
- Internal security,
- Integration and migration,
- Health care,
- Environment and energy
In addition to PROVIDUS’ experts, the following think tanks and NGOs participated in the evaluation - Latvian Institute of International Affairs, Centre for East European Policy Studies, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, Union “Farmers Parliament”, Patients’ Ombud Office, Environmental NGO "Zaļā brīvība"(Green Liberty). The changes in education were evaluated by individual expert Liesma Ose.
The publication in Latvian and English is available here.
In May 2014 a public debate was organized to discuss the findings of the study.
The preparation of this publication was also supported by the Europe for Citizens program of the European Union. The publication reflects the opinions of authors. European Commission’s Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency and European Commission are not liable for use of information included in the publication.